Permissions required to edit Quick Launch navigation links
Just a quick one today. A client needed to allow a group of users to add navigation links to the Quick Launch on their SharePoint Online sites:
We mistakenly assumed that granting the Design permission level would be sufficient. That's not the case on SharePoint Online when the Publishing Infrastructure site collection feature is enabled. The EDIT LINKS link doesn't show up until you grant the Manage Hierarchy permission level. Alternatively, if you want to get granular, you need the Manage Web Site site permission.
If you use SharePoint Designer 2013 to build workflows, there's a fair chance you'll have come across the following error message: Server-side activities have been updated. You need to restart SharePoint Designer to use the updated version of activities.
Needless to say, restarting SharePoint Designer rarely makes the error go away. The usual advice is:
Approach 1: Clear the cache folders
See for example How to Clear Your SharePoint Designer 2010/2013 Cache. If you've just deployed some custom workflow activities to your site, this will probably solve your problem (and you should clear the cache folders every time you deploy custom activities). If the error occurs spontaneously, this approach often won't help.
Approach 2: Reinstall SharePoint Designer
This might work if you've got a preview version of SharePoint Designer installed. If not, it's unlikely to help. It didn't work for me, and it didn't work for countless others on the forums.
Today's problem occured after I restarted a Hyper-V based SharePoint 2013 farm (Windows Server 2012, one SharePoint 2013 machine, one SQL Server 2012 machine, one DC). I fired up Central Administration and was hit with the following error:
Unknown SQL Exception 0 occurred. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.
The target principal name is incorrect. Cannot generate SSPI context.
After checking the obvious things - testing connectivity to the DB server, checking the SQL service was running, verifying permissions, etc - I initially figured this was an issue with my Hyper-V snapshots being out of sync, so I ran the SharePoint Products Configuration Wizard. This hit me with the following error:
Failed to detect if this server is joined to a server farm. Possible reasons for this failure could be that you no longer have appropriate permissions to the server farm, the database server hosting the server farm is unresponsive, the configuration database is inaccessib…
As you probably already know, when you add a taxonomy field to a SharePoint list, SharePoint adds a corresponding hidden note field. For example, if you add a taxonomy field named Colours, you actually get:
A taxonomy field named Colours. Depending on whether the column allows the user to select multiple terms, the field accepts values of type SP.Taxonomy.TaxonomyFieldValue or Collection(SP.Taxonomy.TaxonomyFieldValue).A hidden note field, probably named Colours_0.
The hidden note field stores the contents of the field in a term string format. In a single-value taxonomy field, the format looks like this: Red|87999a76-e3cb-433c-96ad-c6fe354db476 And in a mult…